DIY Plant Arrangement Tips
Our designers use the Thriller, Filler and Spiller method to construct eye-catching planter arrangements that are sure to dazzle.
Thrillers – “The Main Attraction”
- Plants that are big, bold, and add a vertical element to the design.
- They usually have an interesting shape, colour, or texture.
- Consider the depth of the pot you are using. A more shallow pot doesn’t require a thriller that is as towering as a tall pot does.
- Place in the center of a pot if the arrangement will be visible from all sides.
- Place at the back edge a pot if it will be located against a wall or in a corner.
Filler – “The Wow Factor”
- A medium size foliage plant that’s rounded in shape and gives the arrangement a full look.
- They add volume to the planter and fill in space between your thriller and spillers.
- Can be colourful or include flowers. Feel free to use more than one type of plant.
- Place all the way around the thriller if the arrangement will be visible from all sides.
- Place in front of and/or next to the thriller if the planter will be located against a wall or in a corner.
Spiller – “The Final Touch”
- A trailing plant that helps to soften the edges of an arrangement.
- Place all the way around the edge of a pot if the arrangement will be visible from all sides.
- Place near the front edge and potentially sides of a pot if it will be located against a wall or in a corner.
- The sun and shade conditions of where the planter will be placed.
- Choosing plants with the same or similar sunlight and water requirements.